Musician's Friend: Stupid Deal of the Day

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Rimshot Locs




I was sent a set of these by a friend of mine to review. They are called Rimshot Locs, their purpose is to prevent tension rods from backing out the lugs due to vibration.  There are a couple different products out there for this issue and these are the newest ones to enter the market so I thought I’d give them a try. I received them in November and wanted to really put them through the test so I put them on my snare drum as soon as I got them, checked the tension with my handy dandy Drum Dial and then played the crap out of it, then I stuck the drum in my garage that has no climate control….don’t worry, I live in Arizona, it never gets anywhere close to freezing.
So over the past few months I went out the garage and practiced for at least thirty minutes every few days and then put it back out there without even touching the tension rods. The temperature variations in my garage have ranged between the mid 40’s at night to the mid 80’s during the day since November.

Today I checked the tension rods and here’s what I found….no variation whatsoever. I got the exact same readings on the Drum Dial. These things work and they work well!
The Up side? They work! And they come in three different sizes:
RSL2 – Is a 2” lock
RSL1 – is a 1” lock
RSL – Mini- is a 0.5” Lock

The down side? Price.  They sell each size in a number of packs, mainly 6, 8, and 10 packs with the prices ranging from 17.99 to 31.99. My review is of the RSL-1 eight pack that runs 23.99. So if you want them on an all rods on an eight lug snare both batter and reso, you’re looking at about $50.00…that’s a lot…but then again, your tension rods will never back out on you. If you just have that one stupid tension rod that keeps backing out for no apparent reason, then a six pack will do the job for roughly $20.
Overall, this is a great product, although it would be nice if one could cover all the rods on a snare for a more reasonable cost but I guess any product that has any value and usefulness will cost extra.

Until next review!

3 comments:

  1. A couple of benefits not mentioned:
    First adding the Locs to all rods of your batter head unifies the entire shell to the hoop and head.
    Secondly when changing heads, the rods stay with the hoop. No more rods rolling off into the wilderness while frantically changing a head.

    Realistically the snare side wouldn't need the locs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu are correct! I didn't even think of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out the NEW RIMSHOT-LOCS website. www.rimshot-locs.com
    The product has been re-priced. ALL sizes come in sets of 10 so you can outfit ANY size drum. And they are ALL priced the same, at @19.99. RIMSHOT-LOCS are now for sale instores and online at SAM ASH & MV Pro Audio Distributing!

    ReplyDelete