Musician's Friend: Stupid Deal of the Day

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Guerrilla Drum Making



This is for those who have always wanted to make their own drum but didn’t know the first thing about drum building. Guerrilla Drum Making is a step by step DVD for the amateur drum builder.  The main points of the DVD are finishes, how to prep the shell and how to do the finishes. 

They include:

Collage

Black satin stain

Veneer

Sunburst

Laminate

Working with acrylic shells

While it talks about drilling the shell and how to align the holes properly, it doesn't go into cutting bearing edges. That is still best left to the professionals, but I will say that on their webpage (www.guerrilladrummaking.com) they have a very comprehensive blog on building with MANY resources listed. They even have a gallery to post pictures of drums made by owners of the DVD! So don't just buy the DVD, utilize the webpage as well!

As a builder myself, I do some of the things in this DVD differently than they do but their methods still work and even with my personal drum building experience, I still managed to glean some new info from it!
So if you ever wanted to build your own drum I suggest that you pick up this DVD, it has a lot of great info and tips in it. I received an email a while back saying that there’s going to be a sequel! I’ll be picking that one up too!

Until next time!

4 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to build my own set, but not being a gigging drummer, I haven't made it a huge priority. But one day I will, for now I just play an A to E conversion.

    With this type of build, bearings aren't needed. Does this show you how to measure and drill for different types of hoops?

    Thanks,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nevermind,,,,,I read right past that part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got to this too late. I'm glad you found what you were looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately they've now replaced the DVD with a subscription based online system with recurring billing.

    I hate those recurring billing subscription set-ups.

    ReplyDelete