Musician's Friend: Stupid Deal of the Day

Monday, May 30, 2011

Gig Grips






I saw these back at NAMM and was interested in trying them out.  I’m the type of drummer who starts out a set at full speed with my playing and about two or three songs into the set I find myself holding on to my sticks for dear life because my hands get tired. Yes, I need to pace myself better, but when I saw these I thought maybe they would help a little. 

Basically, they’re a piece of rubberized plastic that fits over your sticks and forms a loop for your finger to fit through…simple and effective.  They are comfortable to use and don’t really get in the way while playing. I noticed I could relax my grip a little and still play without worrying about doing any unintentional stick tricks!

Although these are pretty cool, I feel that there are some drawbacks to them, mainly for the rock and metal guys. They don’t change out quickly. If you break a stick mid song you’re pretty much stuck until the end of the song, you can’t just drop the broken stick and get a fresh one. I think that these would work better for lighter players. I did see that they also work for traditional grip players too, you just use it with your thumb.
So for mainstream drummers I think these are a great product, for rock and metal drummers, not so much.
If these are for you, check ‘em out at www.giggrips.com.

Feel free to discuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment