Musician's Friend: Stupid Deal of the Day

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Agner Swiss Drumsticks


This company was brought to my attention from a friend of mine. He couldn’t stop praising their sticks so I thought I’d check them out.
Agner Swiss Percussion has been in business for over 25 years. Based out of Switzerland (obviously) and an American team has opened up shop and started distribution of these Swiss sticks to the North and South America.
This review is for the 2B American.  I normally use 2B nylon tips but as of this writing, those are not available from Agner….I was skeptical.
Ok, the 2B, straight as an arrow (as expected), I noticed that they are lighter than my other 2B sticks on hand (Kit Tools, Capella and Truline). A bad sign? A LIGHTWEIGHT 2B stick in the hands of a metal drummer? This looks ominous. So I received my sticks around January/February time frame. It is now the middle of April, I am currently practicing like a madman for my reunion with Voodoo Temple so I’m hitting the drums 2-3 days a week and at least an hour each day…I’m still on my first pair. I normally go through a stick or two a week practicing, even more when I’m playing out, and here I am two MONTHS and no breakage! I am impressed! Especially for such a lightweight stick. It’s lightweight enough I can even get some dynamics and that’s saying a lot considering my playing style.

Now I’ve used nylon tips for at least the past 20 years because I like the ping it give off the ride so I was disappointed to hear that they don’t have a nylon tip for their 2B sticks, but after using these wood tip 2Bs for two months, I don’t’ even miss the nylon tips. These sticks get their own nice ping off the ride with just a wood tip, plus it’s nice to not have to worry about getting a tip in the eye!
So check out Agner Sticks, you won’t be disappointed! They have a wide selection of stick sizes, brushes and Timbale sticks. They also have ultraviolet and glowing sticks! What more can you ask for??
Hit their page up and tell em PJ sent ya!


Be safe!

4 comments:

  1. Man! Why do I keep forgetting important stuff! Thanks!

    The 2B American and most other models are Hickory. The Europeans Wood sticks are European Hornbeam, "A bit like maple, but slightly more dense."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got endorsed by Agner last week. 7a hickory on the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. These kick a**. I needed another alternative for my Firth Highlander HS1 pipe band sticks in maple, maple seems harder to find than other woods. I think those are/were the biggest sticks available you can actually play with. "Up in Smoke" really influenced me, and Tommy Chong isn't even really playing, lol. Yhese read "maple driver" and they're light as maple. Someone gave them to me so now I need a drop pair (case you drop one playing). I have only broken a stick while intending to in 9 years. Sine my Firth's are discontinued, even after begging...i learned to not break stuff, because I can't get any more.

    ReplyDelete