Musician's Friend: Stupid Deal of the Day

Monday, March 5, 2012

The Ego Thrown Off



Today’s review is on the Ego snare throw off. I’ve had quite a few people ask me about these so here ya go.
I’m going to try and NOT do a Trick/Ego comparison for this review but if I do…well then I guess I do.
The first thing you notice when you look at it is that it kind of resembles Trick’s throw off. It’s basically the same design although there are a few differences. Not a rip off, just similar. The Trick throw off is more squared off where the Ego has a rounded appearance.  The functionalities of the two strainers are pretty different though. I found that the Ego is not as smooth as the Trick, it takes more effort to move the Ego. Not a big deal until you’re trying to adjust it in the middle of a song.  One thing, you won’t have much issue with it accidentally releasing the snares. Once it’s tightened, it doesn’t move but like I said, if you’re the type of drummer who likes to turn the snares off during a song, you’re going to struggle a little. 

As far as a strainer itself goes, the Ego is solid, well built and about the same price as the Trick. One of the advantages of the Ego is that Ego offers free powder coating on the strainer as well as their lugs so it’s nice to be able to match the strainer to the lugs. One noticeable thing about the Ego is that it is heavier than the Trick.

Overall, it’s a good strainer. Is it better than Tricks? I think that can only be determined by the user. I have used both on my drums and have had no complaints about either….damn I compared them!

Til next review!

3 comments:

  1. Nice review. I really like Ego lugs and use them on drums I build whenver I can...I will have to check their strainer out for sure. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading.
    fittings manufacturer

    ReplyDelete