Musician's Friend: Stupid Deal of the Day

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Premiere Gemini 241 Bass Drum Pedal



This is a bass drum pedal that is not only a rare collector’s item but it’s just a plainly odd pedal. I actually own one that I purchased off ebay 6 or 7 years ago.  I’m not sure which pedal came out first, the Gemini 241 or the Dualist, The Gemini made its NAMM debut in 1998 and didn’t really do much after that.  This is basically a single pedal that has two beaters and is supposed to allow you to play double bass patterns with one foot…let’s explore.

This is a pretty sturdy pedal. Well built and solid. The way it operates is one beater is controlled by the foot board like a regular bass drum pedal and then the other beater is controlled with a heel operated pedal.  So basically, you have to rock your foot to get a double bass effect out of the pedal.  For players who play heel down, this isn’t too much of a problem but for those who play heel up, I can see a problem with trying to use the heel. Never mind you’re going to have to learn to rick your foot in a perfect rhythm to get a good sounding double bass pattern going.

The footboard flips up to allow access to mount the pedal to the hoop which is kind of cool. Once on the hoop, it’s kind of difficult to get the double bass going…at least for a sustainable amount of time. Triplets are a real pain in the butt to accomplish as well.

As a “double bass playing” single pedal, it fails. It’s just too difficult to get it going. For a neat collector’s item, win.
I like to refer to this pedal as the 241….A Bass Oddity.

Sorry peeps, I’m not giving this one away! I did see there’s one on ebay right now though! 

Until next review…

18 comments:

  1. Cute title for it, ATD. Looks like one I could use, as I'm just playing a cheap Pearl single at present. I'll check it out on ebAY, thanks.

    Bill Craig from the forum. It won't accept my google account for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The inventor lives on my street.

    Contact me at http://teachmedrums.com

    I think he has a few left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you know what the one on ebay went for? I have one and want to sell but I cant find a value for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's one on ebay right now going for $89.99

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah it's mine but if it's worth more I'd rather it not go that cheap

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'VE ACTUALLY SEEN THIS PEDAL AT A DRUM CLINIC AND WHEN USED CORRECTLY (..once you acquire the feel)YOU CAN PLAY KILLER DOUBLE PATTERNS AND OUTRAGEOUS QUADS WITH 2 PEDALS..HOT FOR TEACHERS INTRO SOUNDS SLOW MO WHEN THIS IS WIDE OPEN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I demo'd this pedal at the 1997 Summer NAMM in Nashville when it first came out and was asked by the owner/inventor to play it every day at NAMM since I took to it so well. I still have mine today. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the record..Maurice Labute of Windsor, Ontario Canada was the first to invent and introduce this truly functional independently controlled world patent pending pedal that worked so well. It is sad that it never stuck...especially with all the double bass music that exists today. It came out years before the Dualist and was very easy to play if you learned and mastered heel/toe playing. Maurice was a gentleman and true inventor that was considered to be like so many other inventors before him...'ahead of his time'. I had and still have the utmost respect for him...and still do today. Lewy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Copy That Dr Stix. :)
      Awesome design & functionality. ..kudos to Mr. Labute.
      Sincerely,
      George Parker

      Delete
    2. He actually co designed it with his son Michael. I am Michaels step daughter and I know they do want to sell more. If there was more interest they would have made more.

      Delete
  9. Can I get the wooden beaters for this pedal still? I have 2 Geminis and I love them! My email address is rocky.neill@hotmail.com and my phone # is (816)550-7826. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had mine burn in a storage unit last week. Fabric beaters are gone and the spot where a beater went is missing. I want able to pull it out of the rubble due to its weight. Heavy and sturdy piece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How much do/did these retail for?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is there a bas drum pedal that can be played with your heel? I have better control and can be quicker playing with my right heel rather than the sole of my foot. Not Toe with heel down, playing the pedal with your heel. Not a double beater but that would be a nice addition. I am so much more comfortable playing Air kick drum with my heel than the front of my foot. What can I tell you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Should have sold it while he could.))

    ReplyDelete
  14. The owners son sean looks so dumb with his long blonde hair pulled back ....a ridiculous....narcissist...
    And all-around thinks his sh**dont stink....can smell it from here!

    ReplyDelete