Musician's Friend: Stupid Deal of the Day

Monday, January 31, 2011

Vector Bass Drum Pedal


I’ve heard quite a buzz about this pedal so when I was offered a chance to review it I jumped on it.

General Description
Out of the box, it comes with a nice carrying case with a shoulder strap. That’s a nice addition for the gigging drummer.  After taking the pedal out the first thing I noticed is that it’s built very well. No corners cut on workmanship, this pedal looks like it can take some abuse…you know, “the knock your drum set over at the end of your set” abuse.
It also comes with its own handy dandy drum key with hex end to make all of your adjustments a snap!  Very cool. 

The foot board is long, wide, and very comfortable. A lot of thought went into this pedal.  It comes with a standard round felt beater, I’m not a fan of those but that is something that can be easily changed out.  Moving on.

Adjustments
The adjustments on this pedal are at first intimidating but as I started playing with them I realized that they weren’t that bad after all. The adjustments are: Spring Tension, Beater Angle, Cam (left or right), footboard (can be set to a side angle), and the hoop clamp can be adjusted side to side. What I did was loosened the cam, footboard and hoop clamp adjustments, put my foot on it and wiggled it until it felt comfortable and then tightened everything down. Voila! Instant comfort! It ended up sitting at a slight angle to the bass drum (this was a single bass set up). Some drummers are a little more finicky but I’m sure even the most finicky drummer can set the adjustments quickly and easily.


Operation
This pedal is SMOOTH. Good response and great action. I like my pedals to have some good bounce back and this pedal has it! The overall feel of this pedal is great. I really enjoyed playing with it. I was able to play heavy when necessary and the action allowed very quick single bass playing.

Conclusion
This is a great pedal. It’s nice to see some independent companies making great product. This pedal has great action and durability, definitely some potential competition to the big boy companies. I would love to see a double version of it sometime!

I give this an 8 out of 10!

4 comments:

  1. How much will this jewel set me back and will it be available through dealers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to their webpage(http://www.vectorpedal.com), the pedal costs 314.00. I don't know of any dealers. Your best option is to email them through the webpage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya, I'm actually thrilled to see this review - my dad is the inventor of the Vector Pedal. You're absolutely right - it's best to get in touch via email. He's the inventor and head of the company, and all correspondence goes directly to him, so he'll be able to answer any and all of your questions!
    Best,
    E. Kjellgren

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI OK I like what I see But I need to feel this for myself even though everything looks fantastic . well pictures do not tell the whole story,First .Most times when we as drummers critique any product.We need to validate ourselves who we are , to show that we aren't just some ham n Egger OK Ive played Drums since 4 years old Grad Berklee Studied with Chaffee , Roker < Skinny Porcaro and many OTHERS Ok Thats out of the way, Now my friend BOB GATZEN is one guy I would diffinitely respect his opinion on any product he invented the BOA PEDALS & HIHAT, DRUM FRAME, R&D FOR EVANS DRUM HEADS< DW DRUMS DRUMSEEKER BAGS REGAL TIP STICKS NOBLE AND COOLEY DRUMS So I think it would benefit this company to seek these guys opinions as LUCAS JACOBSON WHO INVENTED THE DW9000 BD PEDALS HIHAT, DRUM TORQUE for BDPEDALS,. I can tell that THIS INVENTOR IS A TERRIFIC WELL RESEARCHED and R&D YOU CAN SEE THAT IN THE DETAIL OF THIS PEDAL NOW PEDALS HAVE MANY APPLICATIONS TO THEIR PERFORMANCE THERES AIR LOGIC< DUALLIST< THE MAGNECTIC < HALF PEDAL KNEE OPERATED EVERYTHING OUT THERE SO THIS PEDAL IS IN A SEA OF OTHER INGENUITY INVENTIONS .The Video with Poogie Bell endorsing this pedal says a lot because Poogie is a no nonsense cat so that speaks volumes for this pedal. In the evolution of Drum Products innovative inventions and to patent these products is costly and very time consuming, one nust believe whole heartedly that their product is the best and go thru all the best RESEARCH and DEVELOPMENT IS FROM YOUR CUSTOMERS

    ReplyDelete